Though the FODMAP diet has been around for 15 years I haven’t had much to do with it. Mainly because it’s associated with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and other digestive disorders. But my digestive system is fine thank you. Despite being overworked!
Anyway, a friend asked me to take another look at food diaries. So I made a list of food-related diseases where food journals had contributed to research. Then I found that a diary had helped IBS sufferers improve their symptoms. In conjunction with a FODMAP food list.
That FODMAP diet food chart piqued my interest. But I wondered how comprehensive it was. However, I could not find a full list. So I decided to create my own here. Not that I’m claiming it as a complete FODMAP food chart just yet. Though I will add to it as I discover new FODMAP resources.
FODMAP Foods Chart
|Food Group||Low FODMAP Suitable Foods||High FODMAP Unsuitable Foods|
|Grain foods||apple juice, brown rice, cereals, corn (1/2 cup), corn-based foods, corn starch, gluten-free bread, pastas and crackers without honey, pear juice, popcorn, potato chips, potato-based foods, rice-based foods, rice flour, tortilla chips, white rice||biscuits, cakes, crackers, flour (rye, barley, and wheat), pasta (> 1/2 cup in one meal), wheat bread (> 30 gr in one meal)|
|Vegetables||basil, bean sprouts, broccoli (1/2 cup), carrot, cinnamon, common cabbage (1/2 cup), cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, mint, olive, papaya, parsley, potato, pumpkin, radish, saffron, scallion (green part only), spinach, sweet pepper, tomato, yacón, zucchini||artichoke, asparagus, beetroot, cabbage, cauliflower, chayote squash, garlic, green peppers, leek, lentils, mushrooms, kale, onion, shallot|
|Fruits||banana, blueberry, cantaloupe, grape, kiwi, lemon, lime, melon, oranges, pineapple, pomegranate (1/4 cup), strawberry||apple, apricot, avocado, blackberry, cherry, dates, dried fruit, figs, grapefruit, mango, nectarine, peach, pear, persimmon, plum, pomegranate, raisin, raspberry, watermelon|
|Milk products||butter, cheeses (cheddar, Colby, Parmesan, Swiss, cottage, etc.), Greek yogurt, lactose free/low lactose dairy, soft cheeses (feta, mozzarella)||cream, ice cream, milk (cows, goats, or sheep), soft cheeses (e.g. cream, ricotta, and mascarpone), yogurt|
|Meat and alternatives||beef, chicken, deli slices, eggs, egg white, fish, lamb, nut butters, nuts (Brazil, peanut, and walnut), pork, shellfish, shrimp, turkey||cooked beans, peas, processed meats, proteins food, sausage, soybean, soybean extract|
|Drinks||coffee (1 cup), fruits and vegetable juices (1/2 cup), tea||apple juice, coconut water, mango juice, orange juice, pear juice, sport drinks, soy milk, teas (chamomile, fennel, and oolong)|
|Other||albumin powder, canola oil, cooking oils, corn oil, jam, jelly, maltodextrin, mayonnaise, salt, seeds (flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower), soybean oil, sugar||artificial sweetener (sorbitol, mannitol, maltitol, and xylitol), corn syrup, honey, Nutren Active food supplement, soy sauce, tomato paste, vanilla, vinegar|
Rice and corn-based cereal are described as moderate in Mezzomo’s list. Also, Mezzomo lists oats as high FODMAP. But Zahedi includes oats-based foods in the low FODMAP list. So I’ve omitted oats from the chart pending further investigation.
I’ve taken FODMAP foods from various resources[*]. If you know other sources please let me know.
Your FODMAP Foods Chart
The FODMAP diet project is new to me. So you probably know more about it than I do. Please help me learn more. By sharing your questions, experiences, and opinions about FODMAP in the feedback form below.
I’m particularly interested in how you choose low FODMAP foods. Because I want to provide appropriate lists and charts to help low FODMAP diet planning.
To stay informed about new food charts, please subscribe:
Leave Alkaline FODMAP Foods Chart to read ALKAscore Food, Nutrient, and Diet Score News.
Alkaline FODMAP Foods Chart Related Topics
Please remember: to find more related pages that are relevant to you, use the search box near the top of every page.
Other posts that include these terms:
- Alkaline Dry Fruits PRAL List
- Dietary Guidelines Food Groups List
- Acid-Alkaline Other Vegetables and Combinations PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Starchy Vegetables PRAL List
- Are Carrots Acidic or Alkaline?
- Acid-Alkaline Bananas PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Olives, Pickles, Pickled Vegetables PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Cakes and Pies PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Beans, Peas, Legumes PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline String Beans PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Vegetable Juice PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Dips, Gravies, Other Sauces PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Nuts and Seeds PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Candy Containing Chocolate PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Other red and orange vegetables PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Mustard and Other Condiments PRAL List
- Bagels and English Muffins PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Crackers, excludes saltines PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Ready-To-Eat Cereal, higher sugar PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Potato Chips PRAL List
- Alkaline Salad Dressing List
- Acid-Alkaline Vegetable Mixed Dishes PRAL List
- Acid-Alkaline Cereal Bars PRAL List
- Is Oatmeal Acidic or Alkaline?
FODMAP Foods Chart References
- Zahedi, Mohammad Javad, Vahideh Behrouz, and Maryam Azimi. “Low fermentable oligo‐di‐mono‐saccharides and polyols diet versus general dietary advice in patients with diarrhea‐predominant irritable bowel syndrome: A randomized controlled trial.” Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology 33, no. 6 (2018): 1192-1199.
- Mezzomo, Thais Regina, Isabella Ruckl Sampaio, Lize Stangarlin Fiori, and Maria Eliana Madalozzo Schieferdecker. “Content of Poorly Absorbed Short‐Chain Carbohydrates (FODMAP) in Enteral Homemade Diets.” Nutrition in Clinical Practice 34, no. 2 (2019): 264-271.